LocalEats featured blog

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Guest Post: Rachel - The Whispering Pines Inn - Norman, Oklahoma

Last week my husband had a conference in Oklahoma City. My parents live about 30 minutes south of there in Norman, so they watched our baby one evening while he and I went to dinner for an early anniversary date. At the recommendation of my dad we went to Whispering Pines Inn. It's a bed and breakfast place in the country that does weddings and serves dinner by reservation only.

The evening was exquisite. You drive up a dirt road to an adorable two-story house with a wrap around porch, nestled among trees. The dining area was very intimate, only holding about 10 tables spread among three rooms with open doorways. My husband & I were the only ones in our "room", another party was having a birthday dinner in the back. It was relaxing and romantic, the service was perfect. It was so great to go with him because we rarely eat out (mostly because of cost and sitting down to enjoy a dinner is almost impossible with a baby) and this was our first date since our baby's birth 10 months ago.

I had the soup of the day, a sherry mushroom soup with brie. It was served with homemade house rolls and a herb butter. My husband ordered the sweet corn and crab bisque. Both were very good. A citrus sorbet palate cleanser was served before our entrees.

For dinner I chose the night's special: lobster tail sauteed with wild mushrooms and tomatoes in a tarragon cream sauce that was so rich and creamy and buttery and delightful. I think I could have just eaten a bowl of the sauce...well, the lobster tail was wonderful too. My husband had a new york strip steak that was perfection. Both of our entrees were served with fancy scalloped potatoes, asparagus, and zucchini. Since we were celebrating our anniversary, we received a complimentary dessert. We shared the creme brulee, which was bigger than expected and the best way to end our dinner.

Ahh...that tarragon cream sauce, I could eat more right now.

We don't eat at fancy places like that, so it was a real treat. And so delicious. If you are ever in Oklahoma and want a fancy dinner, I would highly recommend Whispering Pines.

The Whispering Pines Inn Website

No comments:

Post a Comment